My girls

Saturday, March 12, 2011

I'm a blogger!!!

I was dropped into Autism World three years and 2 months ago today. It was like being stranded in a seedy part of town with $100 bills taped all over my body. It left me completely vulnerable, helpless and scared out of my mind! I didn't want to be in this world. It was a confusing, dark place to be. I wanted to bundle up my precious baby and get on the first plane out of there but there was no escape route. No busses, planes, trains or even rocket ships could get us out of this place. I had to face the fact that we were going to be permanent residents here. And while we were trying to make this world our new home, our family was hit with a second diagnosis of Autism....So, as I tried to reassure our oldest (who is neuro-typical) that we would make frequent visits to the other world, where she is more familiar, where all of her friends live and her interests are, I couldn't help but feel at that time that it was possible to do it all. To live in Autism World but vacation in the Other World and make it work for all of us. At that time I thought it was possible. But fast forward three years and 2 months since "D" day and I can barely remember a time when we didn't live in Autism World. It has consumed us with it's demands and has driven most of our close friends away.

No comments:

Post a Comment