My girls

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Houston, We have a problem....

Recently my family and I relocated to the Houston area and I have to tell you it has been one heck of a shock to the system. Special education down here looks so much different from where we were from. Here in the great ol' state of Texas they believe in inclusion! Or at least that's what they say...Here they group kids with all different disabilities and all different age ranges into one classroom. That's right, I have a kindergartner in the same room with a fifth grader! Every single day my stomach is in knots because of this and it doesn't help that the staff the works with my child have very little training in working with kids on the spectrum.

I feel helpless but not hopeless. For my daughter I will pick up and fight for her down here. To make sure the teachers get training to help support my child's progress I plan on exhausting all options. It breaks my heart to see her grouped in a room like this. Like a bunch of forgotten children lumped together because they are not able to communicate like other children, they have behaviors that most don't understand and are ill equipped to deal with. Yup. that's inclusion for you...put them in a room together, set the expectation bar very low, close the door and forget.....

No comments:

Post a Comment